Raising Race & Uplifting Voice
For youth defenders and advocates practicing in:
Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin
The morning session on Thursday, July 21 is open to all juvenile court stakeholders.
The afternoon session on Thursday, July 21 and the full day on Friday, July 22 is open only to youth defense attorneys and other youth defense professionals.
Lunch will be provided on Thursday, July 21 for those who register by Friday, July 15.
Thursday July 21, 2022 (8:45am-1:30pm). General audience, lunch included
* Raising Race and the 4th Amendment: Amanda Powell, J.D., Gault Center Consultant
* Sharing Power and Mobilizing Lived Experience in Juvenile Justice System Transformation: Kayla Powell, Youth Development Coordinator, Iowa Department of Human Rights & Adriana (Audi) Espinoza, Vice-Chair Iowa’s Youth Justice Council
* Liberating the Voices of Students: Youth Leadership in the Removal of School Resource Officers: Lyric Sellers & Endi Montalvo-Martinez, Youth Action Squad Members, Iowa Department of Human Rights
Thursday, July 21, 2022 (1:45pm-4:00pm). Defense-specific
* Raising Race and the 4th Amendment forensic exercise: Amanda Powell, J.D., Gault Center Consultant
* Competency Proceedings in Juvenile Court: Jennifer Houlden, Chief Deputy Public Defender, Lancaster County, Nebraska & Lauren Walag, Assistant Public Defender, Juvenile Division Supervisor, Douglas County Nebraska
CLE approval pending