Events Calendar - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Decriminalizing Fashion and Culture for Youth of Color
Monday, April 25, 2022, 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM
The Gault Center and the Georgetown Juvenile Justice Clinic & Initiative invite you to the 2022 Racial Justice Training Series.
Join them for monthly interactive strategy sessions designed to bolster youth defenders’ racial justice advocacy with research, data, and themes from The Rage of Innocence: How America Criminalizes Black Youth by Kristin Henning.
Each month will focus on a different topic from The Rage of Innocence. In this third session of our 2022 Racial Justice Training Series and Book Club, Prof. Kristin Henning and Ebony Howard, Deputy Director of The Gault Center, will be joined by Prof. Andrea L. Dennis, Associate Dean for Faculty Development & John Byrd Martin Chair of Law at the University of Georgia School of Law and author of Rap on Trial: Race, Lyrics, and Guilt in America; Angeles Zaragoza, a youth defender with the Office of the Alternate Public Defender in Los Angeles County and a 2021 Ambassador for Racial Justice; and Anthony Brinkley, a student at Georgetown Law and former system-involved youth.
* Develop concrete and actionable strategies to use data, research, and history in individual client representation, policy advocacy, and systemic reform;
* Learn about the most recent data and research on the topic;
* Have an opportunity to submit questions in advance;
* Share local obstacles and potential solutions during the session;
* Receive handouts, including sample motions, pleadings, and updated annotated bibliographies.
While The Rage of Innocence focuses on Black youth, these sessions will also focus on advocacy for Latinx, Indigenous, Native American, and other youth of color.