Events Calendar - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Just Mercy Film Screening & Panel Discussion "Equity in Action"
Friday, April 9, 2021, 2:30 PM until 6:00 PM
Chicago Kent is hosting, "Equity in Action: Acknowledging the Past, Assessing the System, and Fighting for a "Just" Future."
The school is hosting a live viewing of the Just Mercy film (2:00 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.) and a virtual panel discussion (4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.).
This event is hosted by: ACLU, ACS, BLSA, Criminal Law Society, DALSA, HLLSA, Lambdas, MLSA, NLG, REAA, and SBA, with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Panelists will include a range of local leaders who can speak to the history of the criminal legal system, recent reforms and advocacy, and the on-going struggles ahead.
Equity in Action Panelists
- Illinois State Senator Robert Peters
- Cook County Public Defender Sharone Mitchell
- Kendra Spearman '16 of Spearman Law and Executive Director at The Justice Renewal Initiative, Inc.
- Xavier McElrath-Bey, Co-Executive Director at the Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth
- Dominique Gilliard, Director of Racial Righteousness and Reconciliation for Love Mercy - Do Justice at the Evangelical Covenant Church, Author of Rethinking Incarceration