Events Calendar - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Commonwealth v. Evelyn - Issues in Raising Race through Expert Testimony
Thursday, February 25, 2021, 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM
Juvenile Defenders Dismantling Racism and CPCS Training Department present, "Commonwealth v. Evelyn - Issues in Raising Race through Expert Testimony." A discussion with
Trial counsel - Janice Bassil, Bassil & Budreau and Appellate Counsel - Hayne Barnwell, Attorney at Law.
Commonwealth v. Evelyn (485 Mass 691, September 2020) raised numerous issues to think about when litigating cases on behalf of Black youth. This discussion will primarily focus on the use of expert testimony throughout your case.
* How to work with clients to identify issues in the case.
* Thinking about reasonable suspicion and race.
* Where would an expert be helpful for the client’s case?
* How do we counteract police “experts”?
* How would Commonwealth v. Long and the use of statistics and experts to establish an inference of racial motivation, apply here?
* What kind of experts do we want? (Stereotype Threat, Implicit Racial Bias, Racial Trauma, Statistician?)
* How to create the record for appeal